Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lacatan (binangay) Bananas

Lakatan Banana Trees

by Allan Paul
lakatan1
I dropped by the agricultural fair at the Provincial Capitol of Cebu last week, in honor of the 439th Founder’s Day of the Province of Cebu, and was pleased to find several stalls with fruits and vegetables brought in by the farmers themselves. The first thing that caught my eye was this enormous lacatan or lakatan banana tree, complete with fruits, and some 40-50 little lakatan “suckers” or rhizomes that they had for sale. Since I was hoping to grow more of our own produce and fruit in the nearby city lot, I purchased 20 suckers for PHP500 (PHP25 or roughly 60 U.S. cents each), hoping that one or two of them would eventually yield a bunch of brilliant bananas.
lakatan2
Turns out the suckers or banana trees in general need SERIOUSLY rich soil and will take over a year to bear fruit, so that’s a big fat good luck to Marketman on this attempt to farm something… At any rate, I can always dream, and with a bunch of ripening lakatan bananas like those pictured below, you could say they sold me right at the display…
lakatan3

No comments:

Post a Comment